Driving tests

How do I get my class 2 truck licence?

To get a class 2 truck licence so you can drive a medium rigid vehicle you will first need to get a learner licence then either wait 6 months and take a practical test to get a full class 2 heavy vehicle licence or take an accelerated course to get it immediately.

How much does a class 2 licence cost?

The learner licence application fee is $48.20 and the test fee is $45.70.

The full licence application fee is $49.60 and the test fee is $59.90.

There will be a fee to use or borrow a truck to do the practical test.

If you cancel your test more than two days before, there is a $16.40 fee.

If you cancel your test within two working days of the test, you lose the whole fee and have to pay it again.

What sort of vehicles can you drive on a class 2 licence?

Medium rigid trucks that weigh up to 18000kg, including if they are towing a trailer
Two-axle dump trucks in mining

Class 2 learner licence

You must have had a full class 1 (car licence) for at least 6 months before applying for the 2L (class 2 learner licence) at a driver licencing agent. Therefore the minimum age you can get a class 2 learner licence is 18.

Class 2 full licence

You must have had a class 2 learner licence for at least 6 months or take an approved training course in which case you can progress immediately to a full class 2 licence (assuming you pass the practical test).

Apply at a driver licensing agent.

Then pass a class 2 practical test in a class 2 vehicle (usually a medium rigid truck with a gross vehicle mass between 6001 and 18000kg) or complete an approved course certificate from a heavy vehicle training company.

The full licence practical test is 30 minutes with a testing officer.

Can I convert my overseas heavy vehicle licence to a class 2 licence?

All drivers of heavy vehicles must take and pass a heavy vehicle theory test to change their valid overseas heavy vehicle licence to a New Zealand heavy vehicle licence.

If your licence is from Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK or USA then you don’t need to take a practical test as long as you have held your licence for more than two years.

driver training courses

Darren has written over 3000 articles about driving and vehicles, plus almost 500 vehicle reviews and numerous driving courses.

Posted in Driver licence
When was the last time you checked your Road Code knowledge?

Try some tests for free!

Road Code car quiz

Road Code motorbike quiz

Road Code heavy vehicle quiz