To get a class 2 truck licence so you can drive a medium rigid vehicle you will first need to get a learner licence then either wait 6 months and take a practical test to get a full class 2 heavy vehicle licence or take an accelerated course to get it immediately.
How much does a class 2 licence cost?
The learner licence application fee is $77.50 and you can take the test as many times as you like.
The full licence application fee is $39.80 and you can take the test as many times as you like
There will be a fee to use or borrow a truck to do the practical test.
What sort of vehicles can you drive on a class 2 licence?
Class 2 learner licence
You must have had a full class 1 (car licence) for at least 6 months before applying for the 2L (class 2 learner licence) at a driver licencing agent. Therefore the minimum age you can get a class 2 learner licence is 18.
- Fill out the application form
- Present evidence of your identity
- Prove your eyesight meets the required standard
- You may need to present a recent valid medical certificate. There are extra medical restrictions for driving heavy vehicles.
- Let the agent take your photo and signature
- Pay the learner licence application and test fees and book a test time
- You must take and pass a heavy vehicle theory test. The minimum pass mark is 33 questions correct (note that for the car theory test it is 32 questions).
Class 2 full licence
You must have had a class 2 learner licence for at least 6 months or take an approved training course in which case you can progress immediately to a full class 2 licence (assuming you pass the practical test).
Apply at a driver licensing agent.
- Fill out the application form (DL1)
- present evidence of your identity
- prove your eyesight meets the required standard
- let the agent take your photo and a signature
- provide a medical certificate if required
- pay the full licence application and test fees.
Then pass a class 2 practical test in a class 2 vehicle (usually a medium rigid truck with a gross vehicle mass between 6001 and 18000kg) or complete an approved course certificate from a heavy vehicle training company.
The full licence practical test is 30 minutes with a testing officer.
Can I convert my overseas heavy vehicle licence to a class 2 licence?
All drivers of heavy vehicles must take and pass a heavy vehicle theory test to change their valid overseas heavy vehicle licence to a New Zealand heavy vehicle licence.
If your licence is from Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK or USA then you don’t need to take a practical test as long as you have held your licence for more than two years.