Driving tests

How many fireworks can you legally carry in your car?

So you want to have a massive backyard fireworks party. There’s actually a limit to how many fireworks you can legally carry in your vehicle before you must placard it so that emergency services know what is being carried in

Tagged with: | Posted in Advice

How many lithium-ion batteries can an electrician carry in a vehicle?

Electricians may need a D endorsement if carrying batteries for solar power systems due to the weight of the batteries exceeding the limit under tools of the trade. More and more electricians are servicing and installing solar panels on houses.

Tagged with: | Posted in Advice

What type of dangerous goods need two placards on the vehicle?

Some chemicals need to be placarded for both a primary and subsidiary risk. Both the primary and subsidiary risks must be considered when segregating incompatible dangerous goods, unless they are gas bottles being transported using appropriate equipment, in which case

Tagged with: | Posted in Advice, Heavy Vehicle

What’s a dangerous goods or DG placard?

A dangerous goods placard is a diamond-shaped warning sign or label displayed on a truck, trailer, portable tank or container that either conveys information about the specific hazards and risks of the goods carried, or is a generic warning that

Tagged with: | Posted in Advice

Do drivers of LPG forklifts need a dangerous goods qualification?

As more and more safety compliance responsibility is heaped on companies, some are finding it difficult to achieve dangerous goods compliance when they are using forklifts with LPG cylinders. Cylinders attached to a forklift are not counted as being in

Tagged with: , | Posted in Advice, Forklift

Carrying dangerous goods in limited quantities (DGLQ) and consumer commodities (con coms)

Transport companies are required to carry a variety of dangerous goods of smaller quantities to supermarkets and other manufacturers. These may be carried with reduced segregation requirements if they meet the following conditions. They must meet all other requirements of

Tagged with: | Posted in Advice

Do you always need a D endorsement when transporting dangerous goods by road?

This question often causes a great deal of confusion. There are plenty of common household goods which are dangerous – bleach, shotgun shells, fireworks, hair dye, the gas bottle for your BBQ and more. You carry some of these back

Tagged with: | Posted in Advice

Dangerous goods segregation devices and when you need them

What is a segregation device? A segregation device is something that is used to contain and segregate dangerous goods that are incompatible with each other for a variety of reasons. They are used by a driver transporting dangerous goods. The

Tagged with: | Posted in Advice

What are small packages of dangerous goods?

Small packages of dangerous goods, explosives and excepted packages transported for hire or reward can be confusing to understand. Taking a box of shotgun cartridges for personal use is different from doing pest control for hire or reward. Smaller packages

Tagged with: | Posted in Advice

If I get pulled over, what will the police check regarding my load of dangerous goods?

In New Zealand, in most cases, if you are transporting dangerous goods you are required to abide by the Land Transport Dangerous Goods Rule 2005 and, as such, you are liable for prosecution if you do anything that contravenes the

Tagged with: | Posted in Advice

How to placard your vehicle when carrying dangerous goods

Any vehicle or combination (e.g. tractor unit and trailer) transporting dangerous goods that are a potential hazard to any person or property or to the environment must display placards or special marks as appropriate to the nature, quantity and use

Tagged with: | Posted in Advice

When doesn’t the Dangerous Goods legislation apply?

The Land Transport Rule: Dangerous Goods 2005 governs the carriage of dangerous goods in New Zealand, but in some cases, certain services are not required to abide by the Rule – that is, the driver doesn’t need to have a

Tagged with: | Posted in Advice

How do you get or renew a D endorsement for dangerous goods?

How do you get a D endorsement? You need to complete a dangerous goods D endorsement course. You can do the theory online (on this website) followed by a final theory assessment in front of an accredited trainer, or you

Tagged with: | Posted in Advice

Transporting hazardous or dangerous goods in a truck or car

This article explains what hazardous goods are, how to transport them, whether you need a D endorsement on your drivers licence to do so, and how to get a D endorsement. What are hazardous goods? Hazardous or dangerous goods are

Tagged with: , | Posted in Advice, Car, Fleet, Heavy Vehicle