The aim of this lesson is to legally and safely turn right at an intersection with traffic signals. You will be driving in a 50kph zone on a two-way road with a 90-degree turn at an intersection that has traffic signals.
- Check all the mirrors
- Check your blind spot for traffic by looking over your shoulder
- Indicate right for at least three seconds before starting to turn
- Position your car to the left of the centre line or (if the road splits into two lanes at the intersection) the right lane
- Scan the intersection for hazards
- Slow the vehicle down before the intersection using your brakes and gears
- If the signal is green, turn the corner if it’s safe to do so – look through the corner so you can see what’s happening ahead of you
- If the signal is red or yellow, stop and wait behind the line
- When turning the corner keep the car in the correct position, using appropriate lanes and with an appropriate speed
- Check the mirrors once you’ve completed the turn
- Accelerate to an appropriate speed after completing the turn
Perform the tasks at least three times.