The aim of this lesson is to legally and safely turn left from a road into another road.
You will need to be driving in a 50-60kph zone on a two-way road with intersections to the left and right controlled by Stop and/or Give Way signs.
- Check all mirrors and blind spots
- Indicate left for at least three seconds before starting to turn
- Check the intersection for hazards
- Slow the car down for the turn using the appropriate gears and brake if necessary
- Keep the car in the correct position throughout the turn (no less than 1 metre and no more than 2 metres from the kerb)
- Give way to pedestrians already on the road or crossing, and other vehicles if required
- Drive at an appropriate speed throughout the turn
- Once you’ve completed the turn, check your mirrors again
- Accelerate to an appropriate speed for the traffic flow
Perform the tasks at least three times.