The aim of this lesson is to legally and safely turn left at an intersection with a Stop sign.
You’ll need to be driving in a 50-60kph zone on a two-way road with a 90-degree turn at an intersection that has a Stop sign, i.e. you will be the one stopping and giving way.
- Check all mirrors
- Check your blind spot by looking over your left shoulder
- Indicate left for at least three seconds before starting to turn
- Scan the intersection for potential hazards
- Slow down for the turn and use the right gear to maintain an appropriate speed. Get ready to stop
- Give way to any pedestrians already crossing.
- Stop your car in a place where you can see approaching traffic, but make sure you are not obstructing approaching traffic.
- Give way to vehicles coming from your right
- Keep your car in the correct position in the lane throughout the turn (no less than 1 metre and no more than 2 metres from the kerb). In general, the wider you are, the further you can see around the corner, but don’t go further than 2m from the kerb. Staying too far to the right could confuse and impede traffic behind you
- Maintain an appropriate speed as you accelerate and drive through the turn
- Check your mirrors once the turn is completed
- Accelerate to an appropriate speed after the turn
Perform the tasks at least three times.