The aim of this lesson is to legally and safely turn left at an intersection with traffic signals. You will be driving in a 50-60kph zone on a two-way road with a 90-degree turn at an intersection that has traffic signals.
- Check all the mirrors
- Check your blind spot for traffic by looking over your shoulder
- Indicate left for at least three seconds before starting to turn
- Position your car to the left of the lane or (if the road splits into two lanes at the intersection) the left lane
- Scan the intersection for hazards
- Slow the car down before the intersection
- If the signal is green, turn the corner if it’s safe to do so – remember that there might be a separate light for turning, as pictured
- If the signal is red or yellow, stop and wait behind the line
- When turning the corner keep the car in the right position in the lane and with an appropriate speed
- Check the mirrors once you’ve completed the turn
- Accelerate to an appropriate speed after completing the turn
Perform the tasks at least three times.