Drivers who suffer literacy problems can struggle to pass the theory test. There are several options available to drivers to help with reading and comprehension when learning the questions required for passing a car, motorbike or heavy vehicle learner licence test.
- Drivers that want to persevere with their literacy can practice using our free Road Code test for an unlimited amount of time.
- Use the audio recordings in our Road Code quizzes by clicking on the green speaker icon. This works on desktops, smartphones and tablets. Click on Car, Motorbike or Heavy Vehicle in the menu above. Using this will get you familiar with answering questions in a test environment. Audio recordings are only available in our paid plan which is $9 for a whole year, and you get full access to all our premium learning materials, too.
- Use our YouTube channel and go through the videos of us walking through and explaining all the questions. Bear in mind that this does not give you practice answering questions
- Contact Literacy Aotearoa to see when courses are being run in your area to help with literacy and numeracy. Some courses will focus on the Road Code.
- Use a text-to-speech reader on your smartphone, tablet or computer. Examples are the Read Aloud extension for Google Chrome, Google Text-to-Speech for Android phones, or Natural Reader for Apple phones. This is good, but kind of frustrating after a while as you’ll need to click on each individual answer otherwise it will read things on the page that you don’t want to be read.
Taking the test in your native language
The theory test is also available in the following languages:
- Chinese (simplified and traditional)
The Road Code and practice materials are not available in these languages, though, as it would be prohibitively expensive to do.
Using the audio recordings for corporate driver training
The question audio is available to all users of our Fleet Driver Plan.
Audio is not available in the tourist quiz.