Driving tests

What do you do if you lose your speeding ticket?

If you get a speeding ticket you’ll have 56 days to pay it from the time it was issued. If you lose it in the first 28 days, don’t worry as you will get a reminder notice with all the details for payment. If you also lose the reminder notice then you need to contact the Police Infringement Bureau.

They will need to know:

  • the correct notice number
  • your full name
  • details of your enquiry
  • your address and phone number so we can contact you
  • the driver licence number and/or vehicle registration on the notice (if you don’t know your notice number then this allows them to retrieve the correct notice).

Their contact details are:

Police Infringement Bureau
PO Box 9147
Wellington 6141
New Zealand

0800 105 777 or 04 381 0000 between 8.30am and 4.30pm, Monday to Friday

Do you still have to pay your fine on time, even if you lose the speeding ticket?

Yes – losing the ticket isn’t an excuse for not paying the fine.

Also, you have to pay the full infringement fee – you can’t make part-payments. Not paying the infringement fee in full by the due date means that it will be passed from Police to the Ministry of Justice and becomes a more serious fine. Fines are paid through a separate Courts system.

You can pay by credit card (which attracts a small convenience fee), online banking, cheque or in person at any Westpac branch.

Darren has written over 3000 articles about driving and vehicles, plus almost 500 vehicle reviews and numerous driving courses. Connect with him on LinkedIn by clicking the name above

Tagged with: , | Posted in Advice, Car, Heavy Vehicle, Motorbike