To eliminate unnecessary travel and reduce your drivers’ exposure to strangers in confined environments, online driver training is an excellent option to continue to meet your training requirements.
During self-isolation, a driver can use online training to:
- Refresh knowledge
- Learn new skills
We can give you demonstrations of all courses over the phone with you viewing the course material on your computer. We can set you up and provide help and support remotely.
Courses that can replace classroom-based courses
Forklift operator’s certificate: do the theory online and have a supervisor or responsible coworker assess in your workplace using our unit-standard-based checksheet. This course creates a valid 3-year forklift operator’s certificate, also called an OSH certificate.
Walkie and pallet truck certificate: just like forklifts, operators of electric and manual pallet jacks must be certified every 3 years. They can do the theory online and can be assessed in the workplace by a supervisor or responsible coworker.
Logbooks and worktime: refreshers can be completed 100% online.
There are three courses for road rules and driver skills:
- Fleet Driver Plan: this covers driver health and safety, the road rules and some advanced driving
- Driving in difficult conditions (winter driving): this covers advanced driving and how to deal with emergencies and bad weather
- Low-speed manoeuvring and towing: this covers parking, manoeuvring, reversing with a trailer and more
Courses with theory online and a separate assessment
Some courses have a theory component that can be done online, but have a practical and/or written component to be completed in a controlled environment:
Learner licence training:
- Class 1: you can practice the car learner licence theory online before you go to VTNZ to do the final assessment for the learner licence
- Class 2, 3 and 5: you can practice the truck learner licence theory online before you go to VTNZ to do the final assessment for the learner licence.
- Class 6: once you have your basic handling skills test completed, you can practice the motorbike learner licence theory online before continuing with your CBTA.
D endorsement: the theory can be completed online with the final assessment in a controlled classroom environment at Master Drive (branches nationwide). The final assessment takes around 1-1.5 hours, depending on whether it’s a D endorsement renewal or a new D endorsement.
F endorsement + Operator’s Certificate, or F endorsement: the theory can be completed online with the final assessment in a controlled classroom environment at Master Drive (branches nationwide). The final assessment takes around an hour.
Your health and safety
Driving assessments and in-classroom courses
Some courses have an additional written test (e.g. dangerous goods endorsement) or an additional written and practical test (e.g. forklift F endorsement). All our driving assessments and in-classroom courses are completed by Master Drive Services. They have stringent health and safety protocols in place which include:
- Spreading out trainees in classrooms to maintain the recommended distances
- Cleaning training contact surfaces with antibacterial wipes
- Not permitting anyone displaying symptoms of COVID-19 to attend.